Top 7 Tips to Feeling Fabulous
I moved to Los Angeles from a small town in Georgia in 2009. My sister, AnnaLynne McCord, had just finished filming NipTuck and was on set for CW’s 90210. Working as AnnaLynne’s assistant, I was having a hard time figuring out who I was. And, let’s be honest, working for your sister is not the easiest thing … umm, at all!
I went on launch two companies by the age of twenty-four, but I was still struggling to find myself and love who that girl was.
Before long, after years of soul-searching, I started speaking to women and girls about self-esteem, and even now, that’s where I feel the most fulfilled. Here are my top 7 tips to feeing fabulous.
1. Take some time to discover yourself. What are your passions, likes, dislikes? What inspires you? What causes you to shut down? Truly knowing yourself allows you make choices to do that which makes you happy. Plus, how can you love someone you do not know? (Yeah, yeah, that was pretty deep). 😉
2. Listen to yourself. If you are in a relationship with a friend or significant other and you are unhappy, anxious, resentful, or angry, it’s time to face the fear and make some changes. Gone are the days when we blame others for how we feel. If we don’t like what’s happening in our world, let’s change it! Your guy doesn’t want to commit? Move on! You’re fabulous and you deserve to celebrate yourself and be celebrated!
3. Don’t waste the day feeling unattractive or unlovable. Get up and do what you can to feel good about yourself. How about going to get a blowout or professional makeup application? All we have is this moment. Let’s not waste it cutting ourselves down.
4. On the subject of not cutting ourselves down, the most important thing we can do for ourselves is to release all criticism. You are doing the best you can with the knowledge and understanding you have right now. Would you tell your best friend that she’s fat, dumb, unattractive, pathetic, stupid …? Of course not! So why would you say those things to yourself? How can you learn to support and care for yourself with kind words and actions? You got this!
5. Focus on what you want in life. When we direct our attention on what we don’t want, we are only sending more energy towards the negativity and missing all the beauty that’s available to us. We move in the direction of our focus. Are you focusing on what you want?
6. Give back. Giving to someone else in need reminds us of how precious life is and how blessed we are. If you meet someone who is hungry, feed them. If you see someone who is thirsty, give them something to drink.
7. Focus on how you can grow. Don’t worry about all the things people around you have done or are doing to you. Forgive, move forward, and move away -when necessary. Use that energy to see what you can do to improve yourself. No blame. No guilt. Just improving, and loving ourselves as we go. If you heal only yourself during life, you’ve made the world one person better.
Follow me @iamRachelMcCord for giveaways and silliness on Instagram, Facebook, Vine, Snapchat, and Twitter.